On October 21 RapidX, this premium coach with reclining seats, ladies’ compartment and wheelchair-accessible facilities will begin its journey as a pioneer of India’s regional express train service. The inauguration of this important 17 km stretch of the massive 82 km Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut corridor took place in Sahibabad on Friday under the patronage of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
This priority route covers five different stations – Sahibabad, Ghaziabad, Guldhar, Duhai and Duhai Depot – and covers a total length of 17 kilometers. Travelers can enjoy the convenience of QR code paper tickets, National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) regulations and digital QR code tickets available through the NCRTC mobile app “RAPIDX Connect”.
Based on reliable sources, reported that Prime Minister Narendra Modi would probably be inaugurating the first Indian Rapid Transport Express during Navratri.
What is RapidX?
The first half-speed regional railway service in India has been officially launched as “RapidX” by the national capital region (NCR) transport corporation. These high-tech trains will run on the national capital’s RRTS (Rapid Rail Transit System) corridors, providing essential connectivity between important urban nodes in the national capital region.
The Union government, in partnership with the state of Delhi, as well as the state of Rajasthan and the state of Uttar Pradesh, are leading the way in terms of environmental sustainability. The NCRTC has taken the initiative of installing solar panels on the station and depot, which is a step in the right direction.
As per the vision of the national capital region transport corporation, ‘RapidX’ will be a key link for those who want to travel to their hometowns in the NCR, offering a modern, eco-friendly, efficient, safe, and comfortable way to connect these residential areas to the national capital.
The features of RapidX-
- Each RAPIDX train will incorporate a singular deluxe compartment, replete with a plethora of amenities, including adjustable seating, hooks for outerwear, repositories for reading materials, and ergonomic footrests. Access to this exclusive section will be granted exclusively via an upscale waiting area on the platform.
- Within every RAPIDX train, a dedicated rail attendant will be assigned, their primary responsibility being to ensure a safeguarded and risk-free journey for passengers.
- An adjacent carriage in each RAPIDX train has been specifically designated to accommodate female passengers, providing them with a private and secure space for their commute.
- The last compartment is equipped with a specially earmarked area to accommodate wheelchairs and stretchers, ensuring accessibility and comfort for travelers with mobility challenges.
- For commuters accompanied by young children, a dedicated diaper-changing station has been thoughtfully installed within the women’s restroom at each station, enhancing the convenience of those with infants during their travels.
Additionally, a facility called the Lost & Found Centre has been established within the RAPIDX system’s precincts. This specialized facility acts as the holding area for any lost items, ensuring that they can be recovered within 24 hours from the station where they were unintentionally left behind.
The designated Lost & Found Center for the priority section is located at the Ghaziabad RAPIDX Station. The facility’s operating hours are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., providing commuters with a sizable window of opportunity to pick up their belongings.
The nation’s first railway system, with an outstanding top operating speed of 160 kilometers per hour, will be introduced by the National Capital Region Transport Corporation’s (NCRTC) RapidX services. RapidX trains are expected to travel through the Rapid Rail Transit System (RRTS) at an average speed of 100 kilometers per hour, outperforming both regular metro trains and passenger locomotives on the Indian Railways network.
Notably, Alstom, a renowned manufacturing firm with headquarters in Gujarat, has been given the honor of producing the nation’s first fleet of RapidX train sets.
The Ministry of Railways has accorded official sanction to RRTS rolling stock trainsets that have been designed with a precision in order to achieve speeds of 180 km per hour and, although operational speed is expected to be capped at 160 km per hour, this marks an important and historic milestone for rail transport.
Other corridors of the RapidX
Within the expansive network of RapidX, two additional corridors have been designated: Delhi-Gurugram-SNB-Alwar and Delhi-Panipat. These corridors play a pivotal role in bridging the geographical gap between New Delhi and its neighboring cities.